Recyclables can be dropped off at the Village Shop at 106 N East St by using the MDS dumpster by the water tower. Recycling only please.
All municipalities in Jackson County participate in the Recycling Program.
Tire Round-Up & Hazardous Waste Clean Sweeps – Old Tires and Excessive Junk is collected periodically throughout the year. Check the calendar of events to see when the next one is scheduled. Tires & Hazardous Waste are prohibited from the normal recycling.
Recyclables can be co-mingled.
Items that are Recyclable
All items may be co-mingled and placed in brown grocery bags or clear plastic bags. Here is a list of items that are accepted for recycling. Accepted items MUST be rinsed clean, caps removed and collapsed to reduce volume.
- Glass – Food and beverage bottles, jars
- Plastics – #1 through #7, check triangle label on the bottom of the container for type
- Aerosol and paint cans – Need to be empty and dry with lids removed
- Newspaper and phone books – Please leave loose and tied together with string
- Magazines and glossy paper – All magazines, stapled or glued, tied together with string
- Office and computer paper – White or colored paper including copy paper, stationary, white envelopes,
pastel paper and window envelopes
- Cardboard and manila envelopes – Corrugated or ribbed cardboard ONLY. Boxes MUST BE FLATTENED. For large quantities of cardboard, please deliver to the Recycling Center @ 115 N. Harrison Street Black River Falls WI 54615. The cardboard size should be smaller than 2′ x 4′ and MUST BE BUNDLED AND TIED TOGETHER.
- Fluorescent bulbs – In Wisconsin, businesses are required by law to recycle fluorescent bulbs that are utilized in their operations. This includes compact fluorescent, 4 foot or greater, circular, high intensity or shielded bulbs. The cost of recycling these types of bulbs is the responsibility of the business.
- Batteries -Jackson County Recycling serves as a collection site for the residents and businesses of Jackson County. Special Items that are recyclable: Batteries such as rechargeable batteries, alkaline, lithium and cell phones are accepted at:
Scholze’s Ace Home Center, 133 County Rd A, Black River Falls. (**A minimal fee is required for the disposal of alkaline and lithium batteries.)
- Metals – Rims, brake shoes, auto parts, scrap metals, etc. are accepted, if not contaminated by any residual chemicals or oil. A metals dumpster is available for larger items at the Jackson County Recycling Center.
- Oil & Filters – As of January 1, 2011, oil filters, motor oil and oil absorbents are now banned from landfill disposal in the
State of Wisconsin. In other words, these items cannot be placed in your regular garbage for pickup. Jackson County is looking into providing collection for at least the oil filters, but no such collection is in place at this time.
Currently retailers that WILL accept oil filters for recycling are:
•WalMart Stores with auto service departments
•O’Reilly Auto Parts Stores
Please check with local service stations, as they may also be an outlet for proper disposal of waste oil, oil
filters and absorbents.
Items Prohibited from Recycling
This is a partial listing of items that are prohibited from recycling drop sites and are classified as solid
waste or garbage. Contact your local municipal clerk for the contracted provider for solid waste disposal
for your area.
- No garbage
- No Styrofoam products
- No window glass, drinking glasses, light bulbs, picture tubes, dishes, ceramics, stoneware, pottery, perfume or cologne bottles
- No caps or lids on bottles or jars
- No oily or greasy cardboard or gray board (i.e. pop boxes, cereal boxes, beer boxes).
- No personal hygiene items
- Yard waste such as grass clippings or branches is prohibited at the drop site locations and Recycling
Center. The State’s Recycling requirements are available for review at their website: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/aw/wm/recycle/newpages/motoroil.htm